Cruise for Singles – What to Expect
Cruising is a great choice for single seniors who love to travel. There are many cruise lines that actively encourage cruise for singles options making it easier in many ways to travel as a single on your chosen ship. There is such a demand from singles who would like to take a cruise, many cruise ship liners have introduced singles friendly initiatives to make passengers feel more comfortable. These include special activity programs and discounted singles pricing. Some of the welcoming singles initiatives include:
– Providing gentleman hosts to ensure you always have a dance partner.
– Providing purpose-built single cabins that are cheaper than the usual.
– Dedicated singles lounges to help you mingle.
– Meet and mingle cocktail evenings especially for single travellers on the first night.
– Tables hosted by the ship’s officers or staff for single travellers.
– Group departures for single travellers.
And if you are thinking of cruising solo, bigger is not necessarily better for singles cruising. Choose a small to medium-sized ship that will make it easier to bump into people you have met. The larger ships mean that if you strike a friendship with someone by the pool, you may not necessarily see them again. Smaller ships also tend to attract an older clientelle. This is largely because they tend to be more expensive. The smaller ships by nature are also a little more social, because of the fact that you do see people again.
As we all well know, the single supplement is the most irritating thing about travelling alone. Interestingly, the smaller, more luxurious cruise lines tend to be the ones that cater very well to singles cruising by offering the best single supplement deals. Often it will work out cheaper to cruise luxury than the middle of the road for a single – what a bonus. There are also great cruises for singles deals to be had for European riverboat cruising. Also, many companies have good deals for those who book well in advance and last minute so try to scan the market as much as possible. Try these companies for consistently singles friendly deals:
– Silversea – single supplements just 10% for selected voyages
– Holland America – over 40 programs developed specifically for the singles cruise.
– Crystal – ambassador host programs for singles
– Norwegian Epic, Azura – both with the latest in purpose-built singles cabins
– Hurtigruten – 10% single supplement all year round
– Voyages of Discovery
– All Fred Olsen Ships
Companies offering shared with stranger options are few and far between these days for cruising, but Holland America still offers this service.
Bronwyn White is a travel and tourism industry professional with more than 30 years of experience. Her special interest is helping retirees, semi-retired baby boomers enjoy the dream of travel. She loves to help them plan and get the most out of this time.